top of page
  • Writer's pictureLori Hammer

My Child and Disability Part I: Financial Assistance

Divorce offers opportunities to make a fresh start and improve your life. For help with your divorce in Chicago, call Angela Larimer at 773-370-0600 or email Angela at

The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) forbids discrimination against anyone who has a mental health or physical disability. This act ensures that individuals with disabilities are granted the same rights as everybody else, including but not limited to, equal student accommodations or other educational services, employment opportunities, fair legal settlements, enrollment in city, state or other government programs and services.

Having a child with a disability can be stressful emotionally and financially on any parent but do not be discouraged. There are plenty of programs that are created for the purposes of assisting those parents and their children meet their needs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides monthly financial benefits for disabled individuals who meet specific medical requirements. The benefits can be helpful to cover medical care, rent, mortgage or other living expenses. Within the administration application process, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based program that provides monthly payments for disabled children and adults who have income resources under specific financial limits, including individuals aged 64 years and older who do not have a disability but meet the criteria. Children under the age of 18 can apply for SSI if there is limited income within the home and their disability meets the listed criteria of health related limitations. The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is another program that requires that the individual has a work history and enough credits to qualify.

Some important information a parent might need to provide when applying for their child’s disability are listed below. The list includes but is not limited to:

• The child's birth certificate and/or adoption related paperwork • Proof of child’s U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if the child was not born in the U.S. • W-2, 1099 form(s) or other individual tax form(s) if the child had earnings last year; • Medical documentation from their doctor(s) diagnosis and list of prescribed medications The websites to submit your application are listed below:

49 views0 comments


bottom of page